The Institute at a Glance
We are focusing on:
- Fundamental research
- electron beam physics and beam target interactions
- fretting (wear resistance of materials)
- generation, transmission and conversion of high electromagnetic fields at millimeter wave frequencies
- plasma-wall interaction
- Application of the results
- to generate pulsed electron beams with large diameters and sufficient beam energies
- to improve the wear resistance and the liquid metal corrosion of steels
- to electroporate biomasses and to stimulate biological cells
- to supply Megawatt power levels for electron-cyclotron resonance heating and control
- to apply high-power microwaves to materials by developing large-scale microwave ovens and specific microwave tools
- to predict the impact of transients on the erosion and lifetime of wall materials of future fusion reactors
Dr.-Ing. Alexander Marek was presented with the VDE-ITG 2023 Dissertation Award for his dissertation entitled "New Type of sub-THz Oscillator and Amplifier Systems" in Berlin on 23.11.2023.
The generation of ultrashort pulses with high coherence in the lower terahertz (THz) frequency range and with powers of more than just a few watts is a key to the development of completely new systems in the fields of THz spectroscopy and THz diagnostics.
Am 25.07.2023 hat Herr Dipl.-Ing. Alexander Haas seine Promotionsprüfung zum Thema "Charakterisierung von Gebäudestrukturen mit Mikrowellenmessverfahren" bestanden. Die Arbeit wurde am "DLR - Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt" erstellt. Das Institut für Hochleistungsimpuls- und Mikrowellentechnik gratuliert ganz herzlich zur bestandenen Prüfung.
Am 30.05.2023 hat Herr MSc. Tobias Ruess seine Promotionsprüfung zum Thema "A First 2 MW-Class (136)/170/204 GHz Multi-Frequency Gyrotron Pre-Prototype for DEMO: Design, Construction and Key Components Verification" bestanden. Die Doktorarbeit wurde in der Arbeitsgruppe "Gyrotron- Test und Messtechnik" am IHM angefertigt. Das Institut für Hochleistungsimpuls- und Mikrowellentechnik gratuliert ganz herzlich zur bestandenen Prüfung.
On January 24, 2022, the Scientific Council of V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, in Kharkiv, Ukraine, decided to appoint Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. Manfred Thumm of the Institute for High Power Pulse and Microwave Technology (IHM) of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), with an honorary doctorate of this university, due to the many years of successful cooperation in the fields of plasma physics and microwave tube technology. Due to the war in Ukraine, the certificate was presented on March 9, 2023, in a ceremony in the Senate Hall of KIT by the Dean of the School of Physics and Technology Prof. Igor Girka, on behalf of the Rector Prof. Tetyana Kaganovska of Kharkiv University. The ceremony was opened by the Vice President for Transfer and International Affairs of KIT Prof. Thomas Hirth and musically accompanied by the German-Ukrainian Choir Karlsruhe.
On July 19, 2022, Mr. MSc. Alexander Marek passed his PhD examination on the topic "New Type of sub-THz Oscillator and Amplifier Systems Based on Helical-Type Gyro-TWTs". The PhD thesis was prepared in the working group "Gyrotron Simulation & Components" at the IHM. The Institute for High Power Pulsed and Microwave Technology (IHM) congratulates very much to the passed examination.
18.11.2021, Ms. MSc. Damaris Krust won 2nd place with her thesis "Microalgae on the electric chair" at the Energy Campus 2021. The Energy Campus 2021, which has taken place annually since 2011, once again united many young scientists* from various disciplines who presented their ideas for the future to a jury of experts under the motto "Energy and the environment - my idea for tomorrow".MORE